Aug 23 , 2019
Al Amirah Moroccan Bath and Spa offers turmeric massage. Since turmeric offers internal and external benefits, there are plenty of ways to incorporate its healing properties into your beauty routine.
What is Turmeric?
Turmeric is a flowering plant, Curcuma longa of the ginger family, Zingiberaceae, the roots of which are used in cooking. The plant is a perennial, rhizomatous, herbaceous plant native to the Indian subcontinent and Southeast Asia, that requires temperatures between 20 and 30 °C (68 and 86 °F) and a considerable amount of annual rainfall to thrive. Plants are gathered each year for their rhizomes, some for propagation in the following season and some for consumption.
Turmeric Beauty Benefits
- Turmeric is high in antioxidants that slow down cell damage.
- It’s widely used as a skin exfoliant and improves skin’s texture.
- It helps with inflammatory skin conditions, such as acne, dry skin, psoriasis and eczema.
- It helps reduce pigmentation and even out the skin tone.
- It is also said to diminish wrinkles.
Here are 8 masks you may love to do at home. After the indulgence of our turmeric body scrub, you may want to experience more.
1. Make your own glowing skin turmeric face mask
- Mix flour, turmeric, honey and milk to make a paste
- 2 tablespoons of flour. You can use regular flour, rice flour or ground oats if your skin is dry.
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 3 tablespoons milk. You can also use yogurt to fight acne.
- A few drops of honey (any kind will work, but manuka is especially good for acne)
- Apply a thin layer to your face and let it dry for 20 minutes
- Rinse off in the shower, scrubbing gently to remove.
- Apply your favorite moisturizer.
2. Hydrating Turmeric Face Mask For Sensitive Skin
For a hydrating face mask, combine the skin brightening and lightening benefits of turmeric and lemon. Milk adds B-vitamins, alpha hydroxy acids, calcium and other potent antioxidants.
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons milk
- ¼ tablespoon turmeric
Mix ingredients in a bowl slowly. Apply the mixture to face and leave on for 10-20 minutes before rinsing off.
3. Turmeric Face Scrub
Turmeric’s texture provides excellent exfoliation, and it helps regulate skin’s oil production, making it great for acne-prone skin.
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 3 teaspoons almond milk
- 3 teaspoons baking soda
Mix all ingredients together in a small bowl, and stir to combine. Using clean hands, massage over clean, damp skin with fingertips starting with your chin and working upward in small circles. Rinse and follow with moisturizer.
4. Tightening Turmeric Face Mask
Turmeric calms inflammation and irritation while skin-soothing ingredients like raw honey and coconut milk help tighten and brighten skin.
- 1 ½ teaspoons ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon raw organic honey
- 1 tablespoon coconut milk
Put turmeric, honey and milk in a small bowl and stir. Add the orange oil and stir again. You want your mask to be a thin paste, so adjust the milk as necessary until you get the right consistency. Before applying, cleanse your face to remove dirt and makeup. Apply the mask evenly all over your face, being sure to focus on any inflamed areas. Leave the mask on for 20 minutes then rinse off with warm water. Repeat as necessary until inflammation subsides.
5. Turmeric-Chickpea Face Mask
The three Cs in this mask — chickpeas, coconut and cucumber — are all soothing and healing for our skin. When you add in turmeric, you’ll also get the added anti-inflammatory and brightening benefits, too.
- 2 tablespoons (or 15 grams) of chickpea flour
- ½ teaspoon of organic unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon of cucumber juice
- ⅓ teaspoon of turmeric
In a small bowl, mix the flour, cucumber juice, coconut milk, and turmeric to form a paste. You can also add more flour if the paste is too thin. Apply the mask evenly to your face. Leave it on for about 15 minutes — but not until the paste dries. Rinse with warm water. Makes 2 applications.
6. Turmeric Acne Mask
Naturally antiseptic and antibacterial, turmeric and honey soothe inflamed skin and acne.
- Organic apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 tablespoon of organic, raw honey (preferably Manuka honey)
Apply apple cider vinegar to a cotton ball and swipe all over the skin. Wait about five minutes before you apply the mask. Mix the turmeric powder with the honey. Use your clean hands to apply the mask, avoiding the eye area. Let the mask sit for 15-20 minutes, then rinse with warm water. If the turmeric powder leaves a yellowish tint on the skin, use a milk-soaked cotton ball to go over stained areas. Repeat mask twice a week.
7. Turmeric and Egg ‘Face Lift’
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 pinch ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
Mix yolk, turmeric and oil together to make a paste. Apply to the face and let it dry for 20 minutes. Rinse with warm water.
8. Turmeric Anti-Dandruff Treatment
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
Mix turmeric and olive oil and apply to scalp. Leave on for 15-30 minutes before shampooing.